Tuesday, January 5, 2010
2010 Resolutions of an Educator on the Verge of ????
1) I will not teach force every student in my charge to read the same book. This has been a huge "aha" for me as an educator. As an adult, I have certain interests that will keep me reading despite of being tired, overwhelmed, or downright frustrated. Besides, my kids will get plenty of opportunities to be told exactly what to read when they get to high school and college.
2) I will hold all my teachers to high standards even when they resist- no excuses.
3) I will honor my students' voices and choices even when the control freak that resides in inside me tries to take over.
4) I will stop complaining about what's wrong with education and focus on what's working.
5) I will not allow anyone to drown me with negative energy even if that mean walking away for awhile!